Thursday, March 14, 2013

Chapter Six

Arnav headed to the school to meet up with Khushi. He walked down the hall and entered the classroom. He was a bit early, but Khushi never minded and nor did the girls of her class. But today when he arrived, instead of finding Khushi, he found Lavanya.

"Lavanya," Arnav called out.

Lavanya looked up and the girls got excited. The girls followed his voice and went to him and Arnav gave them all a hug. The girls went back to their work and Lavanya went over to him and they went to the hallway to talk.

"What's up," Lavanya said.

"Where's Khushi?"

"Oh… um…."

"Lavanya… is there a problem?"

"Well…."

"Well what?"

"I-it's nothing-"

"Shut up Lavanya, and tell me."

"You're so mean!"

"And you're changing the topic."

Lavanya just looked away.

"Tell me Lavanya."

"Alright, fine! But I'll only tell you a bit, not giving any details."

"Fine. Now tell me."

"… Khushi didn't come to school today. She's out at the ocean front, by the cove. High peak."

"Why?"

"I told you - I'm not giving you any details."

"Alright fine. I'm going there."

Arnav left and he got in his car. He drove out to the ocean front, over to High Peak. He knew that Khushi used to like coming out here from college. It was one of her favorite places.

He got out of his car and saw a figure sitting down on the green grass. She was wearing a plain white churidar, her dupatta flowing in the wind. As Arnav approached her, he was in daze. The sun was shining down over her, her hair flowing in the wind.

"Khushi?"

Khushi turned her head. "Arnav?"

"Yeah," and he sat beside her. "Hey."

"Hi," she softly smiled.

"Um, what are you doing here?"

Khushi looked down and looked back up, towards the ocean. "The wind is lovely, isn't it?"

"Yeah, it is."

"You know, this is my favorite place in town. I just love it!"

Arnav just nodded, mmm-ing along.

"Sometimes I would come just for the heck of it."

"Oh…."

Khushi sighed. "Arnav," she called out softly.

"Hmm?"

"Can I ask you something?"

"Yeah, sure."

"Um… well… have you ever been… have you ever been in love?"

Arnav just looked at her wide eyed. "What?"

"Have you ever been in love?"

Is she being serious? "Why?"

"Just asking…."

"Well… have you?"

"Arnav! That's not fair! I asked you first!"

"So?"

Khushi frowned and Arnav chuckled.

"Okay fine," Arnav said. "If I answer you, will you answer me?"

Khushi nodded.

"Fine. … yeah… I have. And you?"

Khushi sighed. "… yeah."

"Well… whats his name?"

Khushi raised an eyebrow.

"Just asking."

Khushi lightly smiled. "Well…" she took in a deep breath. "His name… his name was Dhruv."

Arnav shut his eyes, the name echoing in his mind, his ears ringing.

Khushi sighed. "Dhruv and I met back in college. … he was a really sweet guy." She scoffed. "I used to have a major crush on him when I first saw him on campus. … he just seemed… hot," she chuckled.

Arnav looked down at his hands. "So… what happened?"

Khushi lightly smiled. "In the beginning, he used to leave like, little gifts for me. Cards, chocolates, teddy bears… sweet stuff like that. …it was just absolutely adorable! Truth be told, I didn't even know it was him in the beginning. But then when I noticed him glancing at me on campus, I figured it was him." She sighed. "We started talking and then one day he asked me out and… and next thing I know, he was my boyfriend."

Arnav nodded, already knowing everything. "Then?"

"Then we went out for a while, although, our relationship wasn't perfect. We had problems now and then, but then again, which relationship doesn't?" She chuckled.

Arnav took his chance and asked his question, the question that had kept wandering in his brain. "So… so where is he?"

Khushi sighed and looked out towards the ocean. "He's not in this world anymore."

Arnav's eyes widened and he looked at Khushi immediately, his jaws dropped. "Wha… what?"

Khushi nodded. "… he's dead."

No comments:

Post a Comment